Learn from the best, these are the top selling books and guides on home recording and music production right now. Hopefully investing a small amount now on a good manual will save you hours of frustration.
Recording, mixing and producing your own music, video voiceovers and movie soundtracks is a rewarding, and potentially lucrative, hobby. However, the learning curve can be quite steep, especially when you just got started. So this is a list of the top 10 books on audio production. I have more than a few books on my shelf. So useful when you want to get beyond the basics, and look up stuff about microphones, speaker position, effects and production techniques.
Although YouTube is full of how-to videos (and I have my own channel where I have uploaded some), the great thing about a good book is usually the author has taken the time and trouble to break complicated processes down into simple steps in a logical way.
The list below is always up to date, and so these are the books that are helping you right now to make better recordings in your home studio.
[The following content contains affiliate links. For more information, read our disclosure policy here.]
Books and Guides on Recording and Sound
- Book: Al Schmitt on the Record: The Magic Behind the Music
- 232 pages
- Mark Howard, Chris Howard
- ECW Press
- Paperback: 232 pages
- Music Theory For Computer Musicians
- Many DJs, gigging musicians, and electronic music producers understand how to play their instruments or make music on the computer, but they lack the basic...
- Beneath all the enormously different styles of modern electronic music lie certain fundamentals of the musical language that are exactly the same no matter what...
- David Felton
- Jake Island Limited
- Edition no. Pap/DVD (12/01/2016)
- David Byrne
- Recorded Books
- Audible Audiobook
- Bjorgvin Benediktsson
- Kindle Edition
- Edition no. 2 (02/06/2017)
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Geoff Emerick, Howard Massey
- The book features information on both the audio theory involved and the practical applications explaining from microphones to loudspeakers.
- Edition no. 2 (01/01/1988)
- 5th Edition Series: Book Publisher: Wiley Format: Softcover Author: Jeff Strong Inventory #HL 00143843 ISBN: 9781118968017 UPC: 888680059682 Width: 7.25"...
- With expert guidance every step of the way, you'll find the answers to your questions about choosing equipment, recording tracks, editing, mixing, mastering,...
- Updated to reflect the latest home recording technology, this new edition addresses styles from live bands to electronica with easy navigation to the...
- Mixerman Publishes
- Paperback: 308 pages
Last updated on 2019-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Online Courses In Audio Engineering and Digital Audio
To find out more, you could check out some of the excellent courses on audio engineering that are available on the Udemy online course platform. Another option is to think about a subscription to LinkedIn Learning. For a modest monthly fee you can access all their courses on audio production.