Start Here …
Want to record the sound of your digital keyboard or piano? Or do you want to know how to use it as a MIDI keyboard controller? If so we created a whole series of step-by-step videos showing you exactly how to do that. Whether you just want to make scratch recordings with a simple audio cable, or see how to use a professional recording interface. We have also got links to more resources and all the equipment and hardware you will need to get recording!
One of the great benefits of getting connected is it will be really useful if you want to learn to play piano or keyboard. Hearing yourself play, and being able to use interactive software will help you make rapid progress.
>> Click to go directly to the video course
The video lessons below have been broken down into individual guides for Windows Laptops, iPads and Macs. Most things are the same, but there are some differences depending on where you want to connect and record. If you want then the last video on the page is a link to the entire playlist
Equipment You Might Need
To use your keyboard or digital piano as a MIDI Controller Keyboard you may need a MIDI Interface or an audio interface. with MIDI i/o. Check your keyboard/piano as you may be able to make a MIDI connection just using a simple USB lead
Useful Links: Audio Recording
If you are a complete beginner then you may like our short guide on what is an audio interface. Once you know what it is, then see our information on choosing an audio interface. There is a fantastic definition of digital audio on the JISC site, which you can find by following this link.
Best-Selling Audio Interfaces
Top selling audio interfaces on Amazon
- #1: Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First
- #2: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC22
- #3: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2
- #4: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools First, Red, 2i2 - 2 Mic Pres
- #5: IK Multimedia iRig 2 guitar interface adaptor for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac and Android
Useful Links: MIDI Connections
We have a basic page on what is MIDI. If you really want to become a MIDI guru, then visit the MIDI Manufacturer’s Association official site – for in depth guides tutorials and detailed information about MIDI. Or you might want to purchase a book on MIDI.
Best Selling MIDI Interfaces
Top selling MIDI interfaces on amazon
- #1: USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable Converter, LiDiVi Professional Piano Keyboard to PC/Laptop/ Mac MIDI Adapter Cord for Home Music Studio - 6.5Ft
- #2: Roland Midi Cable (UM-ONE-MK2)
- #3: Korg nanoKONTROL2 Slim-Line USB Control Surface in Black
- #4: IN-OUT MIDI USB Cables, NEW1 PC/MAC/laptop MIDI Interface Converter for Professional Piano Keyboard Instrument Adapter Cord no need drivers
- #5: FORE USB IN-OUT MIDI Interface Converter/Adapter with 5-PIN DIN MIDI Cable for PC/Laptop/ Mac with Colorful LOGO
Learn Even More …
If you enjoy this very basic introductory course then the next step will be to move to something a little more advanced. There is a great, and very inexpensive, course on Udemy, Record Audio Like A Pro which will take you to the next level. The world of home studio recording is an exciting one, but there is a lot to learn, so every little helps!
Connect And Record Your Digital Piano: Complete Video Course
1. MIDI vs Audio
2. Digital Piano Outputs
3. Audio Cable To Mic Port
4. Record Piano In Audacity
5. Record Direct To Macbook
6. Record on iPad
7. Audio Cables Roundup
8. Audio Interface Essentials
9. Record With Interface On Windows
10. Using An Audio Interface With Mac
11. Record on iPad With Audio Interface
12. What is MIDI?
13. MIDI Setup On Windows Laptop/PC
14. Setting Up Your MIDI Keyboard Controller
15. MIDI Keyboard Setup On Mac
16. MIDI Setup on iPad
Sync Piano Recording To Video
Phew! We covered a lot of stuff there. Don’t forget to go back to the top of the page and check out any equipment you might need! And if you have any comments, feedback or questions then please share your thoughts on our YouTube page.