Start Here …
Want to record the sound of your digital keyboard or piano? Or do you want to know how to use it as a MIDI keyboard controller? If so we created a whole series of step-by-step videos showing you exactly how to do that. Whether you just want to make scratch recordings with a simple audio cable, or see how to use a professional recording interface. We have also got links to more resources and all the equipment and hardware you will need to get recording!
>> Click to go directly to the video course
The lessons have been broken down into individual guides for Windows Laptops, iPads and Macs. Most things are the same, but there are some differences depending on where you want to connect and record. If you want then the last video on the page is a link to the entire playlist
Equipment You Might Need
To use your keyboard or digital piano as a MIDI Controller Keyboard you may need a MIDI Interface or an audio interface. with MIDI i/o. Check your keyboard/piano as you may be able to make a MIDI connection just using a simple USB lead
Useful Links: Audio Recording
If you are a complete beginner then you may like our short guide on what is an audio interface. Once you know what it is, then see our information on choosing an audio interface. There is a fantastic definition of digital audio on the JISC site, which you can find by following this link.
Best-Selling Audio Interfaces
Useful Links: MIDI Connections
We have a basic page on what is MIDI. If you really want to become a MIDI guru, then visit the MIDI Manufacturer’s Association official site – for in depth guides tutorials and detailed information about MIDI. Or you might want to purchase a book on MIDI.
Best Selling MIDI Interfaces
- #1: USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable Converter, LiDiVi Professional Piano Keyboard to PC/ Laptop/ Mac Adapter Cord for Home Music Studio - 6.5Ft
- #2: FORE USB IN-OUT MIDI Interface Converter/Adapter with 5-PIN DIN MIDI Cable for PC/ Laptop/ Mac
- #3: Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface
- #4: M-Audio USB Midisport Uno | Portable 1-in/1-out MIDI Interface via USB connection (16 x 16 MIDI channels)
- #5: Korg nanoKEY2 Slim-Line USB Keyboard in Black
Learn Even More …
If you enjoy this very basic introductory course then the next step will be to move to something a little more advanced. There is a great, and very inexpensive, course on Udemy, Record Audio Like A Pro which will take you to the next level. The world of home studio recording is an exciting one, but there is a lot to learn, so every little helps!
Connect And Record Your Digital Piano: Complete Video Course
1. MIDI vs Audio
2. Digital Piano Outputs
3. Audio Cable To Mic Port
4. Record Piano In Audacity
5. Record Direct To Macbook
6. Record on iPad
7. Audio Cables Roundup
8. Audio Interface Essentials
9. Record With Interface On Windows
10. Using An Audio Interface With Mac
11. Record on iPad With Audio Interface
12. What is MIDI?
13. MIDI Setup On Windows Laptop/PC
14. Setting Up Your MIDI Keyboard Controller
15. MIDI Keyboard Setup On Mac
16. MIDI Setup on iPad
Sync Piano Recording To Video
Phew! We covered a lot of stuff there. Don’t forget to go back to the top of the page and check out any equipment you might need! And if you have any comments, feedback or questions then please share your thoughts on our YouTube page.