This is our very comprehensive review of the exciting new Shure MV7 Podcasting Microphone. It’s a dual format USB/XLR dynamic mic designed for podcasters, streamers and vocalists. Why a game-changer? Read on to find out … or go straight to our video review and full resolution recording made with the MV7. Plus, you can directly compare the Shure MV7 with all the other USB mics we have tested – watch video reviews and listen to audio recordings – in our ultimate guide to the best USB mics.
[This content may contain affiliate links. For more information, read our disclosure policy here.]
The Shure MV7 – Does it pass our test?
- Shure MV7 Features
- Shure MV7 Video Review – See What It Looks Like
- Shure MV7 Original Audio Recording – Hear How It Sounds
- The Shure MV7 Microphone In More Detail
- Compare USB Microphones
- Useful Links and Further Information
- You Might Also Like
Inspired by the legendary Shure SM7B Broadcast Mic, the Shure MV7 is a dynamic microphone with both USB and XLR outputs for use with computers and professional interfaces alike. Connect via USB and explore additional set-up features and Auto Level Mode within the ShurePlus™ MOTIV app, where you can control features such as your vocal tone, and distance from the microphone.
At the same time with the dual-format MV7 you can use the XLR output to make a backup recording – or futureproof your new studio setup! Use the Shure MV7 as a USB mic now, then the mic will grow with you when you ready to purchase an audio interface.
The Shure MV7 works out of the box on your Mac or PC, lightning iPhone, or iPad or Android mobile device. It ships with both a standard USB cable and a USB-C lead. If you have a lightning iPad or iPhone then you will also need to purchase a lightning – micro USB cable.
We have tested it on Mac, PC, Android Phone and lightning iPad. Combined with the ShurePlus™ MOTIV App it works like a dream! This is the microphone that podcasters, gamers, streamers and musicians have been waiting for. An affordable all-in-one dynamic broadcast mic that follows in the giant footsteps of the SM7B. You can check out full compatibility on the Shure site.
Perfect for all vocal uses – spoken voice and singing too.
Keep scrolling to watch our detailed video review and listen to an original unedited audio recording made with the Shure MV7 USB/XLR Mic. Or have a quick flick through the main features below.
The Shure MV7 Podcasting Microphone is just one of the USB mics we have tested for our Ultimate Guide to USB Mics. Refer to the complete article if you want to compare the MV7 Mic with other best sellers and popular USB mics. (spoiler: the Shure MV7 stands up well!)
Shure MV7 Features
- Mic: Shure MV7 USB/XLR Podcasting Microphone for PC, Mac, lightning iPhone & iPad, plus Android mobile devices
- Type: Dynamic
- Pickup Pattern: Unidirectional (Cardioid)
- Dual Format: Yes! XLR and USB output. Connect direct to USB-A and USB-C devices (not USB-C iPad). Also connect to lightning iPhone and iPad with optional cable.
- Headphone Port: Yes 3.5mm with volume control on the mic and Monitor Mix. Direct monitor your recordings and hear computer playback too.
- Accessories: Yoke, ready to attach to microphone stands with standard thread.
- Recording Resolution (USB Mode): 24 bit, 44.1/48kHz
- Additional Features: Mic Mute Feature; DSP settings (EQ, limiter, compression and also set and forget auto level presets) available within the MOTIV App. In USB Mode adjust mic gain and headphone volume on the mic. Monitor Mix control
- Power: USB-A, USB-C or Lightning
- Pros: Excellent recording quality; Noise isolation technology so you don’t pickup unwanted background noise; Multi-Platform and Dual Format; Easy to set up and use out of the box. No additional equipment required! Iconic Sturdy Broadcast Mic Design
- Cons: incompatible with USB-C iPad; need to buy lightning cable as optional extra
- Buy: Buy the Shure MV7
- Accessories and Options: You will need to use this mic with a microphone stand. Either a desktop studio recording arm or a standard microphone boom stand will do the job. For lightning devices you will need the AMV-LTG Lightning Cable
Shure MV7 Video Review – See What It Looks Like
Shure MV7 Original Audio Recording – Hear How It Sounds
The Shure MV7 Microphone In More Detail
Microphone Build Quality
The Shure MV7 Podcast Microphone is a sturdy and heavy-duty dynamic broadcast mic. The casing and yoke are metal. If you remove the windscreen then the microphone has a solid grill. This mic has been built to withstand heavy studio and mobile use.
Out of the box you get the microphone which is attached to a yoke, a USB-A cable and a USB-C cable. Compatibility wise it connects directly to your Mac or PC via USB, and to any iOS device with a lightning port. It also connects to USB-C android phones.
However, this is not just a USB microphone! The Shure MV7 is dual format so it also has an XLR output. You can use this at the same time as the USB output to make a backup recording – or you can record via your Audio Interface. So this microphone is super versatile. And it will grow with you as your studio expands.
The Shure MV7 plugs and plays on your computer, lightning iOS device or android mobile device.. Make sure you install the ShurePlus™ MOTIV App to get full functionality. The app is available for desktop and mobile device.
You can also use the mobile app to record, and to control the mic, on iOS or Android. In addition the Shure MV7 will also work with your other recording and video apps (any that support external microphone). If you refer to our video review you will see the app is a fundamental accompaniment to this mic when recording in USB mode.
If you record via XLR, then you can post-process your recording in your favourite recording software.
On the base of the mic you have the USB connection port, and also a headphone port for real-time monitoring (in USB mode). This will allow you to record yourself along with backing tracks and hear yourself at the same time. In addition there is the XLR output.
The mic has LED controls to allow you to adjust the mic gain and headphone volume on the mic. You can also mute the mic, and adjust the ‘monitor mix’ between computer playback and microphone monitoring.
Vocal Modes and More – in the App
Do you like to get up close to your microphone, or do you want to back off a little? With the Shure MV7 you get to choose! You can explore additional set-up features and Auto Level Mode within the ShurePlus™ MOTIV app, to control features such as your vocal tone, and distance from the microphone.
Choose a dark tone to bring out the depth of your voice, or a bright tone for a highly articulated radio-ready sound.
Technical Specs In Detail
Moving on to the Technical spec: This is a cardioid dynamic mic, designed to give you that professional ‘radio’ sound. And with voice isolation technology, you can easily separate your voice from background noise.
You have a choice between 2 sampling rates and you also have the option to record at either 16-bit or 24-bit. The ability to record at 24-bit is excellent – It gives you much more headroom when you are recording.
It we go back to the design, the MV7 is a broadcast style mic that you attach to any microphone stand with standard fittings (there is thread adapter in the box too should your stand have the narrower thread fitting). It looks super cool if you go for a studio arm mic stand clamped to your desk!
Access mic gain, headphone volume, monitor mix and mic mute directly on the mic. Set up your mic in the app choosing the Auto Levels – but if at any time you want to switch to manual mode simply hold in the mic mute button for 2 seconds.
We think the recording results using the MV7 are excellent. The recording quality is high, and there is very little background noise from the USB connection. Some USB mics are quite noisy with a constant background hiss – the Shure MV7 is among the best we have tested from that point of view.
Plus it is designed to record your voice … not the rest of your room! And with the choice of setups available to you within the ShurePlus™ MOTIV app, you should be able to get the perfect sound for your own style.
- Iconic Design
- Different Vocal Modes and DSP setups
- Multi-platform and dual format
- High Quality 24-bit recording
- Low noise – the USB recording is very good, plus you have the Voice Isolation Technology too
- Mic Mute, Plus Mic Gain and Headphone Volume Control on Mic (in USB Mode)
- Provides realtime monitoring via headphones
- great for live-streaming
- excellent vocal mic
- easy to use – great for beginners but will ‘grow’ with your studio
- portable, versatile, multi-platform
- All round value for money
- The USB port on the mic is old-school micro USB
- If you have a lightning device you will need to purchase an additional cable
- Incompatible with USB-C iPad
Compare USB Microphones
In summary the Shure MV7 offers really fabulous recording quality and multi-platform connectivity out of the box. If you want a broadcast-style microphone for podcasting, live streaming or voiceovers then it does the job very nicely! This is not a replacement for the Shure SM7B – but it certainly stands up well as a low cost alternative.
Or it will serve as an additional interview microphone and portable recording solution if you already have a pro setup
You can directly compare the MV7 to every USB microphone we have tested in one place. Refer to our ultimate guide to the best USB microphones.
Useful Links and Further Information
In the podcast below, Jack Drury and Shure historian Michael Pettersen talk about the history of the SM7B and how its DNA made its way into the MV7, a new microphone for podcasters, streamers and musicians.
Should you buy the Shure MV7 or splash out on a setup with the Shure SM7B? Read more in this helpful Shure article to help you decide.
And finally, if you haven’t already, do check compatibility of the Shure MV7 here.