Sometimes it can be really hard to be sure if your MIDI keyboard controller or other your USB-MIDI interface is working correctly, particularly if you are using it with complicated software. My suggestion is to separate the two things! Test that the hardware is working OK first. Use your computer’s control panel then test the device with a MIDI diagnostic tool.
Once you can see the MIDI device is working you know that you need to work on the software configuration. Tip: Make sure you install, connect and turn on your MIDI controller first, then start up the software you want to use. Some software just won’t find devices if you turn them on after starting up the software. The video below will take you through some testing basics, then read on for links and more information. If you want a bit more info, then you might find our basic guide on what is MIDI helpful.
How To Test Your MIDI Controller – Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Which MIDI Diagnostic Tool?
If you are using Windows, then download MIDI-Ox, it’s a fantastic piece of software that shows the stream of MIDI data on your screen so you can check every key, fader, pad and wheel on your MIDI keyboard and be sure they are all working OK. Download it here:
Then if you want a step-by-step guide on how to use it, this page on the M-Audio support portal is great, with easy to follow screen shots. Although it is referring to an M-Audio device you can use this software with any MIDI keyboard or interface.
If you are on a Mac then the SNOIZE MIDI Monitor software does a similar job and they have nice documentation on their site on how to use it. It is also possible to test your MIDI devices if you navigate to Mac’s Audio MIDI Setup Utility
If the above has not helped, then refer to our detailed post on MIDI connection. And you might also want to refer to our detailed step-by-step video course on how to record your digital piano or keyboard.
What If The MIDI Keyboard Isn’t Working?
If you still think the keyboard is not connecting correctly, then there is a useful post here on the Numark site which will help you to troubleshoot your plug and play device. Especially in Windows the native drivers can be missing or corrupted and may need to be re-installed.
If your device is not plug and play then you will need to go to the manufacturer’s site and download the correct drivers. NEVER do a ‘google search’ for drivers – there are lots of dodgy sites out there which will try to tempt you to download all kinds of things from them. Instead, go to the official site of the manufacturer of your particular device and navigate to their support/download page directly. The best manufacturers (Alesis, M-Audio, Numark, Roland, Korg, Samson etc) have telephone support as well, so take advantage of it. But do work through the above steps first!
[This content may contain affiliate links. For more information, read our disclosure policy here.]
5 of the Best MIDI Controllers
We have tried all the following controllers, they work really well and if you have any problems then the manufacturer’s give fantastic support. As an added bonus, they all work on PC, Mac and iPad!
- Music Production and Beat Maker Essential - USB powered MIDI controller with 25 mini MIDI keyboard velocity-sensitive keys for studio production, virtual...
- Total Control of your Production - Innovative 4-way thumbstick for dynamic pitch and modulation control, plus a built-in arpeggiator with adjustable resolution,...
- The MPC Experience - 8 backlit velocity-sensitive MPC-style MIDI beat pads with Note Repeat & Full Level for programming drums, triggering samples and...
- MIDI Keyboard with 49 full-sized, velocity sensitive square-front keys, perfect for playing Virtual Instruments
- 8 velocity- and pressure-sensitive backlit pads for beat production and clip launching
- 4 assignable knobs and 4 assignable buttons interface with your music software. Seamless, visual feedback via illuminated buttons and knobs
- Music Production Essential – MIDI keyboard controller with 88 full-size velocity-sensitive semi weighted keys for MIDI control of virtual instruments,...
- MIDI Keyboard Must-Haves - Volume fader, transport & directional buttons; pitch & modulation wheels, octave up & down buttons and sustain pedal input for...
- Immediate Creativity - Effortless plug-and-play USB connectivity to Mac or PC—no drivers or power supply required; compatible with iOS devices via the Apple...
- 32-note velocity sensitive mid-size key keyboard. Pitch Wheel. Modulation Wheel. Octave Buttons(Up & Down). Transpose Buttons(Up & Down).
- Sustain Switch interface (sustain pedal does not include). USB B type: USB connect to Computer
- ATTACHMENT: USB cable
- Production in your Pocket - 13-inch, slim-line laptop performance keyboard with 25 velocity-sensitive mini-keyboard keys for playing melodies, bass lines,...
- Full Range Performance - Dedicated octave up and down buttons to increase the keyboard to the full melodic range plus a sustain button for expressive...
- Packed with Features - On-board arpeggiator steps through chords automatically and generates inspiring melodic ideas quickly
Last updated on 2021-06-06 / Affiliate links / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API
Five Great MIDI Interfaces
Already got a nice keyboard, but no MIDI connection? Then you could get one of the following MIDI interfaces and soon be hooked up to your favourite MIDI software
- 4-IN,4-OUT MIDI interface(64 MIDI channels) low latency High-speed USB connection to PC or Mac MIDI in and MIDI out activity indicators for each port USB...
- No driver needed Compact size MIDI IN: MIDI input 1-4 jack MIDI OUT: MIDI output 1-4 jack USB B Type: connection between the MIDI 4x4 and the host computer
- ATTACHMENT: USB cable
- 8 in 8 out USB 3.0 MIDI interface compatible with USB 2.0, 1.1 if use Windows under Windows 10
- Total 128 channels no driver need
- USB powered, no external power source need
- Inputs: 2 MIDI inputs (32 MIDI channels) Outputs: 2 MIDI outputs (32 MIDI channels) Power supply: USB Powered, no external power required
- Power supply: USB Powered, no external power required Operating Systems: Mac OSX, Windows XP and above (no driver needed)
- ATTACHMENT: USB cable
- MIDI Connectivity
- Expansion and Compatibility
- Capture every detail - premium component selection and 24-bit/192kHz resolution for professional recording and monitoring to your Mac/ PC;
- Low latency - Hi-Speed USB/ USB-C circuitry gives you the fastest connection, with a class-leading round trip latency of only 2. 59Ms*; USB and USB-C connection...
- Pristine studio grade capture - transparent crystal preamps and ultra-pristine ad converters for unsurpassed audio recording quality
Last updated on 2021-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images via Amazon Product Advertising API